Directory of Early Photographers in Suffolk - H - J
HAILEY & Co
See C Hailey, below.
Listed as ‘C Hailey & Co’ from 1900 onwards.
HARDY, James William Fisk
HASSALL, A J M
HILLEN, James T
HOGAN & Davies
HOLMES, J W
HOUGHTON, C J
HOUSEHOLD COMMODITIES SUPPLY COMPANY
Advertising in the 'Ipswich Journal' in March and April 1875, the company announced its intention of opening a department store at 32 Brook Street, Ipswich. A photographic studio was promised: 'As soon as possible the spacious and elegant Photographic Saloon will be ready, when high class Portraits and Works of Art will be produced, under the management of an efficient and experienced Artist.'
HOWARD, James William
It seems possible that, despite variations in the form of the address, there are few, if any, changes of studio here.
HUTCHINS, H C
A photographic chemist of Framlingham, known only from a carte dating from around the middle of the 1860s.
INTERNATIONAL Art Co
Successors to J Kerby & Son (q.v.)
ISAACS, Jones &
JARMAN, Harry Isaac
Jarman (as recorded by Jarman) was apprenticed to John Palmer Clarke (q.v.) in 1890. He bought the business and negatives of William Silas Spanton (q.v.) in 1901. When Clarke moved to Cambridge in 1903, Jarman bought that firm's stock of negatives, too. The Spanton-Jarman Collection at the Bury Branch of the Suffolk Record Office is the result of Harry Jarman's preservation of the area's photographic record.
See also H J Jarman, below.
JARMAN, H J
See also Harry Isaac Jarman, above. The ‘J’ of H J Jarman may, perhaps, be a misprint.
Lantern slides of Southwold by Frederick Jenkins, along with moving pictures by his son, A. Barrett Jenkins, have been preserved in the East Anglian Film Archive. Malster records that in 1904 Frederick was advertising processing services for amateur photographers.
JENKINS, Henry/ Harry
According to LJ/IR, Harry Jenkins' father - another Harry Jenkins - was a photographer in Tunbridge Wells. Records of the Photographic Convention of the United Kingdom indicate that Jenkins was at 2 Pier Terrace by 1897. Colin Elliott (in 'Sailing Fishermen n Old Photographs; Tops'l Books, 1978) dates his arrival to 1896, and adds that he died in 1952 at the age of 86.
The photographic families of Boughton, Jenkins and Wilson were business competitors but mixed socially. Harry Jenkins was succeeded in the business by his son, Ford, and his grandson, Peter. Some of his photographic plates survived in the Pier Terrace basement until 1953, when they were irreparably damaged by the East Coast floods. (Information drawn from Robb/Godfrey.) Paul Godfrey also reports that Jenkins' wife, Mary, was a daughter of a Derbyshire photographer, Barrowclough Bentley of Buxton.
JERVIS, A C
See also Albert Charles Jervis, below.
JERVIS, Albert Charles
JOHNSON, Frederick Ed.
JONES & Isaacs
The address sometimes appears as Castle Hill (KS1869, KS1875, KS1879), and sometimes as Earsham Street (WS1874, KS1883, WS1885, KS1888), but both are part of the complete address, as given above, and as printed on a carte mount from the 1870s.
Back to Suffolk index
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.