Directory of Early Photographers in Norfolk, N - R
NEAVE, William John
NEVE, C J
Neve ran a Photographic Institute at St Stephen's Gates, Norwich. He is known from an ambrotype that appears to date from the late 1850s.
Cory notes a studio at 1 Queen Street, Norwich, 1889. He appears to be the Newman of 'Bond & Newman' (q.v.) and is probably also the same as George W Newman, below.
NEWMAN, George W
Manager at the Foundry Road, Norwich, studio of George Browne (q.v.) at some time in the 1880s. Quite possibly the same as George Newman, above.
Nicholson is recorded as chemist, druggist and insurance agent at the same address in HN1863. He is described as chemist as well as photographer in HN1868 and HN1872. In HN1877 he is described as dispensing and agricultural chemist, tea dealer, oil merchant and dealer in photographic chemicals and apparatus – but no longer as a studio photographer.
Postcard photographer and publisher active in the early 1900s. (A shot of the opening of the Lynn Mart is dated 1906.) The identity of the photographer is not known.
NORWICH Photographic Co
Cory believes the company lasted from about 1881 until around 1886.
He is described as baker & photographer, HN1863, HN1872.
Described as ‘photographic portrait painter’. Heathcote doesn’t record this studio, but it seems likely to be the same as Oglesby below.
An Eastern counties itinerant. 'The Norfolk News', 29th July 1854, refers to him working as a daguerreotypist in Thetford and says he has 'been long practising his art in Australia, and with much success'. According to Heathcote, he set up a Norwich studio in St Stephen’s Road (near the Norfolk & Norwich hospital) in 1854. Also from 'The Norfolk News': a mention that he exhibited at the Norwich School of Artsoirée on 23rd March 1856; and an announcement, on 21st June 1856, that his 'long stay' in Norwich would shortly be coming to an end.
He may have gone on to practise in the North of England before settling in Llandudno in the 1860s.See also Ogleby, above.
Daughter of Rachel O’Hanlon (below), working as assistant in her mother’s studio in 1911.
O'HANLON, Mrs Rachael
The widow of an Irish doctor, Mrs O’Hanlon had set up a studio in Lynn by the time of the 1911 census.
ORIENT Art Co (Bert Armond Taylor, propr.)
ORIENTAL Photo Co/ Studio
Listed as Oriental Photo Co in KN1908/KN1912 and as Oriental Studio in AN1916.
(King Street studios)
PARISIAN Art Photographic Co
A cabinet print from the 1890s gives the address as 74 King Street, Norwich. Cory records this as a short-lived studio, occupied after the one in Prince of Wales Road.
PASHLEY, A W
Paul Godfrey has found an advertisement by J W Pashley, chemist and photographer of Harleston, in the 'Norfolk News', 3rd April 1852. Pashley was looking for 'two or three respectable well-educated, Scientific Young Men who would undertake to travel with Daguerreotype and Calotype Apparatus, for taking Portraits and Views by the latest improvements.' If any such wished to join him in 'the above lucrative employment' and could invest £50-70, Pashley would undertake to 'make them perfect in the Art, and ... take an equal share of the risk'.
PEARSE, George S
See the entry for John Percy Swain, who was using John Percy as an alias, 1907/8.
PLOWRIGHT, Walter C
Note: Gorleston was a Suffolk parish until the early 1800s when it became a part of Great Yarmouth in Norfolk. We have therefore included Gorleston photographers in both county listings.
Assistant of Jasper James Wright (q.v.) of King's Lynn. She is mentioned in the 1898-1900 diary of James Speight (q.v.), and is recorded in the 1901 census as a photographer living with her parents in Austin Street, King's Lynn.
PRESTON & Co
Paul Godfrey reports that, towards the end of his tenure of 26 King Street, Price employed Frank Sayers (q.v.) as manager. He was present at the Photographic Convention of the United Kingdom, 1897, but the studio appears, by that time, to have had Sayers' name above the door. (See also King Street studios).
PRIDGEON, W R
Originally a clock maker, Pridgeon briefly played host to the business of Oliver Sarony (q.v.), before setting himself up as Sarony's successor in March 1857 (Source: Lynn Advertiser). Dimond reports that, on 3rd April 1865 at Sandringham, Edward, Prince of Wales’ wrote, ‘We and the whole party were photographed (in a group) by Mr Pridgeon, a Lynn photographer and the result was satisfactory.’ A report in The London Standard of December 4th 1865 suggests there was a second such occasion towards the end of the year. The last definite record of him as a studio photographer dates from 1865, and he withdrew from photography at some point in the later 1860s. (A photograph by him was exhibited in the town in 1869, but that may not be evidence that he was still practising professionally.) He continued with his original lines of business for many years.
Photographic historian Paul Godfrey has supplied details of Priest's career. A watchmaker from Leeds, he arrived in Norwich at the turn of the century. He ran an optician's business at 129 Magdalen Street (c1905-7) before opening a photographic studio at 21 Prince of Wales Road. He went on to become involved in the infant moving picture industry, spent time running a travelling show, and was a collaborator in the establishment of Norwich's first purpose-built cinema, which opened in October 1912.
Priest's portrait studio seems to have been short-lived, for the 'Edinburgh Gazette' of 2nd June 1908 reported the bankruptcy of "Alfred Ernest Priest, 21A Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, and residing at 51 Sprowston Road, Norwich, photographer".
PROUT, John A
Hired to help in the King's Lynn studio of Willliam Woodhouse (q.v.) from 1st January 1866, and billed as having London experience. Prout took over the Blackfriars Road premises in April 1866. Woodhouse reacquired the business in December 1867 or January !868. (Source: Lynn Advertiser). Prout remained for a while in Lynn, advertising himself as a ‘Professor of Languages’, before moving to Sussex, where, in 1871, he was pursuing a career as ‘Tutor (classical)’.
PURDY, Miss Amy Elizabeth
Amy Purdy’s parents were a pharmaceutical chemist and the proprietress of a young ladies’ boarding school. In 1891, she was a ‘student of pharmacy, teacher of botany, chemistry, drawing, languages’ at her mother’s school in York. By 1901 the family had moved to Lynn, and Amy was working as a ‘photographic artist’. She may not have had her own studio at this time, but by1907 she was established at 84 Lynn High Street, where she continued to practise for over twenty years. In the mid-1920s she briefly took on a second studio at 102 High Street. In 1929 she retired abroad, and the studio at 84 High Street was bought at auction by her employee, Percival Goodchild (q.v.).
QUINTON, Benjamin J
QUINTON, Mrs Caroline
RALPH & Julyan
Partnership between Frederick Ralph (q.v.) & Frederick Julyan (q.v.) Their studio on St John’s Terrace is believed to have been active some time between 1895 and 1899. No directory entries have been found, but in October 1897 they made a copyright application to Stationers’ Hall.
A 1906 cabinet print by F Ralph of Hunstanton records that the photographer is ‘by special appointment to HM the King’. Dimond explains that Ralph was Usher of the Servants’ Hall at Sandringham for nearly four decades, and that for the last few years of this time he combined the role with running a local photographic business. (Dimond believes the Hunstanton branch was established by 1892.) Ralph claimed, in a 1902 magazine interview, to have taught Princess (later Queen) Alexandra to take and process her own photos. Certainly she became a keen photographer and, though grander professional input may have been sought when she learnt the necessary skills, t seems quite possible that she profited from Ralph’s experience and advice.
See also Frederick William Ralph, below.
RALPH, Frederick William
Described in the 1891 census as artist and photographer. Partner in Ralph & Julyan (below), St John’s Terrace – a business that was active some time between 1895 and 1899. Ralph was the older son of Frederick Ralph, studio photographer in Dersingham and Hunstanton and Usher to the Servants’ Hall at Sandringham. After working with his father, the younger Frederick ran his own studio in Hunstanton from about 1895 until at least 1904. For him, the Lynn partnership was effectively a branch studio.
Walter was the younger son of Frederick, above. He, too, started out in his father’s business before running his own studio.
Reference has been found to:
Ray was the son of a Lynn porter and sugar-dealer, who made a brief trade directory appearance towards the end of the 1850s. There is no sign of his presence in the 1861 census.
READ, Alfred E
READ, A E
This could possibly be a new branch of the business of Alfred E Read, above.
READWIN, George Francis
TC1901 identifies the Magdalen Street address as 'The County Stores' and offers 'photography at moderate prices'.
Junior assistant to Jasper Wright, mentioned in 1900 by James Speight (q.v.) and listed as photographic apprentice in the 1901 census. By 1911 he was running his own photographic business, working from his parents’ home in nearby Tilney All Saints.
REEVE, Mrs G
REEVE, George R
REID, Archibald Frederick
Reynolds worked in the town as a photographer for many years before running his own studio. He was born in Suffolk, the son of a fisherman, and by 1881 his widowed mother was working (possibly briefly) in photography. In 1891 William was in Lynn and working as a photographer’s assistant. His employer is not known, but it may have been John Smith, of T Smith & Son (q.v.), for whom he was certainly working by 1895. By 1908 (and probably some time before) he had become manager for Boughton & Sons (q.v,). He took over their High Street studio at a date somewhere between 1908 and 1911, and he continued operating there under his own name until about 1919, or perhaps a year or two later.
ROBERTS, Edward H
Recorded in the 1891 census as a photographer, aged 25, boarding in Friars Street, King’s Lynn. Either a travelling photographer or an employee (studio unknown).
In 1886 Robertson, of 14 Windsor Terrace, acted as agent and canvasser for, successively, A & G Taylor (q.v.) and T Smith & Sons (q.v.). When working for Smith he collaborated with a Mr Thompson (q.v.). Both were disowned and replaced within months.
ROBINSON, Alfred John
(Regent Road studios)
ROGERS & Havers
Noted by Cory at 5 Davey Place, Norwich, 1859. Hepworth refers to the firm's advertisement in Roger's 1859 directory of Norwich. The business had closed by 29th December 1860, when, in 'The Norfolk News', J R Sawyer announced that he had bought out their entire stock. The 'Rogers' of this partnership seems likley to have been E D Rogers (below).
ROGERS, Alfred John
ROGERS, E D
He announced, in 'The Norfolk Chronicle' of 11th October 1856, his intention of opening a studio in Earlham Road, opposite Earlham Terrace, Norwich, on 'Monday next' (i.e. 13th October). He continued to advertise this studio until at least the autumn of 1857.
ROSE, George A
34 Nelson Road North, Yarmouth
ROSE, George Albert
The similarity of names suggests he could be the same as George A Rose, above, but the 14-year gap prompts separate entries.
ROYAL, Walter James
RUMBLE, Albert Ernest
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.