Directory of Early Photographers in Norfolk, T - V
Cory places him at 7 Prince of Wales Road by 1875, and the business is listed as Taney & Co in directories from 1877 onwards. At one stage, at least, during the late 80s or early 90s, Taney was describing his company on mounts as ‘American Photographers’. Taney & Co was also in business at Foreshore Road, Scarborough, Yorkshire, according to cabinet and carte mounts dating from the (early?) 1890s. The company appears to have been a family business (the 1881 census shows both George B and his son, George E as photographers), and it later diversified briefly to run a cinema in St Andrew’s Street.
TANSLEY, Howard &
TANSLEY, Harry H
Everitt reports that he also ran a studio in Cromer (but that may have come later than the period covered by this directory).
TAYLOR, A & G
Although they were the biggest national chain of photographers, the firm of A & G Taylor made little headway in East Anglia. In 1886, however, they conducted a short-lived advertising campaign in Lynn, promoting their pay-by-instalment ‘club’ system, and appointing George Robertson (q.v.) of 14 Windsor Terrace as their agent and collector.
This may well be a later studio of Bert Taylor, below. (Regent Road studios)
TAYLOR, Bert Armond
Taylor is described in KN1904 as ‘proprietor of Orient Art Co.’
Taylor advertised his business at 13 High Street from March 1854 until March 1857. He contributed photographs to the inaugural exhibition at the Athenaeum and in June 1855 opened (at the same address) one of the town’s first custom-built studios. (Mr Turner (q.v.) had probably been the very first, nine months earlier.)
THOMAS, W S
THOMPSON, Charles James
The move from Opie Street to St Andrew's Street is announced in 'The Norfolk Chronicle', 25th July 1863. Sources sometimes expand ‘St Andrew’s Street’ to read ‘St Andrew’s, Broad Street’. On carte mounts dating from, probably, the 1870s, the address appears as ‘Broad Street, St Andrew's (opposite Bridewell Alley)’. He is listed as ‘C J Thompson jun.’ in EN1883. According to Cory, he dropped photography to concentrate on dentistry in the early 1890s.
Described in 1856 as ‘Photographic portrait painter’.
In 1886 James Thompson of Gaywood Road, Lynn, acted, in collaboration with George Robertson (q.v.), as agent and canvasser for T Smith & Sons (q.v.). Both were disowned and replaced within months.
In March 1866 the Norfolk Chronicle reported a fire in the ‘Photographic Portrait Gallery of Mr Thompson, – one of the usual buildings on wheels, which has for some weeks past been located in the fore court of a house on the London-road [Lynn]’.
THOMPSON, W H
Placed at King Street, Norwich (July-December 1852) and at an unknown Norwich address (1854-5) by Heathcote, who suggests he may be the same as Henry Thompson, above.
Known from a cabinet print dating from the early 1900s and bearing the address '92 Regent Road, Great Yarmouth'. They were presumably successors to A E Day (Regent Road studios). Records of the Photographic Convention of the United Kingdom indicate that they were in Yarmouth by 1897.
TOLL, Frederick G
TREBLE, C F
‘C F Treble, 182 King Street, Great Yarmouth’ is printed on a carte apparently dating from the 1890s (possibly late 90s). A connection with the business of Frederick Treble (below) seems likely, though directories record no Treble presence at this Yarmouth address after 1879.
Treble had previously practised in Hastings, Sussex, from the late 1860s to the early 1870s. The business appears in both Yarmouth listings as ‘F Treble & Co’. (King Street studios)
TUBBS, W T
Though not found in directories, W T Tubbs of Upwell is known from a carte de visite dating, probably, from the 1860s. He also contributed to the 1856 exhibition of the Norwich Photographic Society.
TURNER, Mr (1)
In September 1854 the Norfolk News referred to Mr Turner’s newly-built daguerreotype studio near the Kings Lynn railway station. It’s possible that this was the first purpose-built studio in the town.
He may have been the Turner of Turner and Walker (q.v), who were in the town earlier in 1854. If so, he had, unusually, switched from the wet-collodion process to the earlier and already obsolescent daguerreotype process during the intervening months.
It also seems possible that he was the William Turner who held the daguerreotype licence for Bristol in the 1840s.
TURNER, Mr (2)
Mentioned in 1898 by James Speight (q.v.) as being employed as a retoucher by Jasper Wright (q.v.). Speight estimated his age at about 35.
TURNER & WALKER
Reported by the Cambridge Independent Press in July 1854 as operating ‘the photographic process’ in Lynn at an unspecified location. The paper’s reference to the ‘photographic process’, along with its cheapness, suggests they were using the wet collodion process.
See also separate entries for Turner (1) and Walker.
A carte mount, apparently from the 1890s, has ‘19 The Walk’. Urbinsky’s mounts proclaimed that he operated ‘By appointment to HRH the Prince of Wales’.
The USA Studios had branches in a number of towns up to at least the beginning of the First World War.
USHERWOOD, Egmont Augustus
Noted by Cory at the Rembrandt Studio in 1895.
VANDALEUR, G A
His advertisement in FP1859 proclaims 'Portraits taken (daily) in the highest style of Art, from one shilling to five pounds' . He offers 'views, stereographs, copies of engravings, works of art, &c; portraits on leather for transmission abroad. Vandaleur's stereographs of Yarmouth only one shilling each!'
VANDYKE & Co
The three different versions of the address may all refer to the same studio.
Mentioned in a Sawyer & Bird advertisement of 1873 as a photographer who specialised in large-scale portraits, and who sometimes worked at their Norwich studio.
Leopold Vilenkin, a Russian émigré, arrived in England in about 1905 and worked for a while in a Wolverhampton studio before arriving in Lynn. He had succeeded G. W. Cosser (q.v.) at 60 High Street by May 1915 (as indicated by a Lincolnshire Echo report of 18.5.15). He was still in the town in 1918, when his son was born.
Itinerant daguerreotypist, listed by Heathcote. He was at Mr J Crow’s, St Stephen’s Street, Norwich, 1852-3, and from that Norwich base he visited Cromer. 'The Norfolk News', 17th July 1852, reported that he had begun to use the collodion process in addition to the daguerreotype process. He also appeared at locations in Lincolnshire and Leicestershire, as well as further afield. (In later years he was active in Wales and the western counties of England.)
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.