Directory of Early Photographers in Cambridgeshire, H - L
Credited in Reeve with two photographs (dated c1880 and 1904). But no evidence of a professional studio has been found in trade directories.
HAZELDINE, C H B
Formerly a traveller for a firm of drapers, Heeley bought the daguerreotype licence for Cambridgeshire and ran a studio in St Mary’s Passage, Cambridge, from August to Nov 1844. Heathcote records that, after a promising start, he ran into financial problems and left the county to avoid his creditors.
See Hills & Saunders, KC1908, below.
HILLS & Co
HILLS & Saunders
The firm appears as ‘Hill & Saunders’ in KC1908. HC1873 refers to the premises at 15 King’s Parade as ‘The Oxford Photographic Gallery’.
KC1869, HC1873 and KC1875 mention further studios at Oxford, Eton, Harrow & London. In fact, the Cambridge studio was part of a multiple chain founded by Robert Hills, hairdresser and wigmaker of Oxford, who set up his first studio in 1856, and formed a partnership with John Henry Saunders in 1860. Theirs was one of the few multiples to target the wealthier segment of the market. The original collaboration began in Oxford, where they were appointed photographers to the Prince of Wales while he was at university. They opened an ‘Oxford Photographic Gallery’ at Eton, c1863, and worked for the royal family at Windsor. Their chain grew to include studios in London, Aldershot,
Rugby, Sandhurst and York Town. The range of studios shows them aiming at a specific clientele – the public schoolboy (and his family) who went on to a university or military career. They were granted a Royal Warrant as photographers to the Queen in April 1867. (Sources: Dimond & Taylor; Linkman; Linkman 2.)
The 1881 census shows Hills’ son, also Robert, aged 29, born in Oxford, as a photographer at the King’s Parade studio. The partnership was dissolved in 1889, but members of both families continued to run branches under the old name. (For a later Royal Warrant, see Saunders.)
The reverse of a carte de visite mount refers to his winning of a ‘First Class Medal’ for ‘artistic photography’ in 1880. The Lynn Road studio is referred to as the ‘Parisian Studio’. (Studio note: 96 Lynn Road)
HOWARD, Mrs Mary
HUNT, Thomas Bidwell
IMPERIAL Photo Co
According to Fosbrook-Ream the company also traded at 50 Market Place, Wisbech, at around the time of the First World War under the ownership or management of H Coates and Sons. Lilian Ream acquired their studio business at or soon after the end of the war, but they continued to operate as postcard publishers.
Doorkeeper to an itinerant photographer at Wisbech Mart, March 1862. 'The Norfolk News' reported that he committed suicide by drinking a solution of bichloride of mercury (a chemical used in photographic processing).
According to Golding, 7 York Row was known as the ‘Borough Studio’.
KENNERELL, Beales &
KIDD & Baker
LAFONT, Miss B
LIDDELL & Williams
In the Wisbech Advertiser of 8th April 1859, Lilley gives his address as Stear's Passage, York Row, Wisbech, and refers to 'having had four years experience' in the town.
LISTER, James H
LORD, H R
This seems likely to be R H Lord (below) with his initials transposed. (TC1901 is not free from such errors.)
LORD, Ralph Herbert
Reeve gives the opening of Lord's studios as 1881-1883. A competition-winning photograph by Lord of the Trumpington windmill dates from about 1880. He was still active in 1902, when he photographed a procession on the occasion of Edward VII's coronation.
Reeve reports him in partnership with Valentine Blanchard (q.v.) at Post Office Terrace in the late 1880s. A carte mount, probably from the 90s, shows Blanchard & Lunn at 15 Hills Road and Post Office Terrace, Cambridge. But the two names have not been found connected in trade directory listings. (Post Office Terrace)
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.